Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective. Learn more.
- When there’s a chill in the air but it isn’t cold enough for a heavy jacket, it’s time for an overshirt.
- The best overall goes to the Everlane Heavyweight Overshirt for its workmanship, price point and clean, slightly boxy look that stays true to the style’s utilitarian roots while remaining thoroughly modern.
The overshirt, also known as the shirt jacket or “shacket,” is a fall and spring staple that combines the best of a shirt and a jacket. It’s lighter than a coat, heavier than a typical button-up shirt, and a bit dressier than a hoodie since its collared. It’s the perfect layering option for both spring and fall.
This apparel style derives from 19th-century workwear that is worn over street clothes to keep them from getting dirty. The overshirt continues to retain a bit of a utilitarian feel, with a dash of the outdoorsy and a streetwear aesthetic thrown in for good measure. It’s generally roomier than a regular shirt since it’s made to be worn as a jacket or mid-layer.
What also differentiates an overshirt from a regular shirt is the heavier material, which can be anything from flannel to denim or corduroy. Other features include the use of oversized pockets and larger buttons or the addition of a zipper closure. The overshirt category encompasses a broad range, from more shirt-like versions in mid-weight cotton to others that are more jacket-like and have linings. There are even quilted versions.
In terms of style, the overshirt’s potential is nearly limitless. Wear it like a regular shirt or unbuttoned with a T-shirt underneath; as a mid-layer with a heavier jacket on top; or as a jacket with a collared shirt or turtleneck beneath. It pairs really well with jeans and other five-pocket pants, chinos, or even dress pants (depending on the style of overshirt you choose). I typically wear mine like an unstructured blazer with a turtleneck and chinos or with a thinner button-up shirt underneath, jeans, and a bandana for a bit of a throwback workwear look.
The Everlane Heavyweight Overshirt takes best overall for its workmanship, price point, and clean, slightly boxy look that stays true to the style’s utilitarian roots while remaining thoroughly modern.
Here are the best men’s overshirts you can buy:
- Best men’s overshirt overall: Everlane Heavyweight Overshirt
- Best overshirt on a budget: Wrangler Authentics Men’s Quilted Lined Flannel Shirt Jacket
- Best overshirt for sustainability and versatility: Outerknown Blanket Shirt
- Best overshirt for chores: Patagonia Farrier’s Shirt
- Best for dressing up: Ted Baker Regle Over Shirt