Hij stond op het punt de grootste hennepoperatie ter wereld te bouwen. Toen ging het allemaal naar de hel


De Beste Kwaliteit CBD Olie?

MHBioShop CBD Olie Specialist  

Pour la meilleure qualité d’Huile de CBD Visitez

HuileCBD.be specialiste Huile de CBD


How a pioneering hemp farmer got himself into—and out of—a horrific situation

IIt’s a bluebird December day in Colorado and John Todoroki is riding a high-speed chairlift to the top of Vail Mountain. At 10,000 feet, the air is so crisp, the skies so achingly blue, that it feels like the VIP section for human existence—life on Earth, only better. John savors every moment these days, but none more than these, skiing with his family and friends. He savors them like a man who could just as easily still be lying on a mud floor in a fetid Burmese prison, with no idea when or if he’ll ever get out. “When you’re in a 108-degree prison cell,” he says, gazing up the mountain into the midday sun, “you can’t imagine that you’ll ever breathe air like this again.”

ByBy any measure, John’s rookie season in the cannabis game was an epic one. In just over a year, the 62-year old American and his team created an irrigation system capable of moving 400,000 gallons of water, a soil-production unit that pulverized tons of volcano-rich, pH-optimized soil a day, and an enormous crop of hemp plants bursting with cannabidiol, better known as CBD. And they were doing it with the government’s blessing in a region of central Myanmar (formerly Burma) with an unreliable municipal power and water supply, and where the average worker has a fourth-grade education. III M Global Nutraceuticals was the first hemp business in Myanmar to receive an operating license from the state government.

It wasn’t until John’s son Alex saw drone footage of the farm in Mandalay that he fully grasped what they’d accomplished. “Once you get this bird’s-eye view,” Alex says, “you’re just like, Jesus, this is huge.”

By March 2019, III M had cultivated two strains of hemp that were extremely low in the intoxicating chemical compound THC and high in the medicinal CBD. The booming CBD industry is projected to be a multibillion-dollar global business in the next few years, and John was thinking bigger than the CBD lattes and nighttime eye creams that had come to define the American market after the 2018 farm bill legalized hemp production in the United States. Already III M’s research on growing CBD-rich industrial hemp had been promised to a large South American health care company, and its precious CBD extracts would go to a renewable energy titan. Together, the two deals were potentially worth tens of millions of dollars over the next five years. John’s lofty goal: “We’re going to be the largest wholesaler of commercial hemp in the world.”

Engineering and entrepreneurship had always come easily to John. During his sophomore year at Western State College of Colorado, he moved with a bunch of guys to an off-campus ranch house that practically required them to throw regular keg parties. Though he barely drank, John knew there had to be a smarter way to keep a keg cold than by dropping it into a bucket lined with leaky bags of ice. So he drove down to a mountaineering outfitter in Boulder and quizzed them about the thermodynamics they used in their winter gear. Then, after some trial and error, he came up with a moldable foam that kept kegs cold without flooding the kitchen with ice melt.

That foam, as it turned out, was also ideal for insulating and transporting medical matter—blood, plasma, organs for transplant—and Todo Corp was born. John sold the company less than two years later for a sum he says was in the low seven figures. He never did get his college degree.

The young John Todoroki was not a frugal millionaire. He bought a place in Beaver Creek, Colorado, a Mercedes sedan, and his first Porsche 911. He was living in L.A., going to USC football games, partying with the Anheuser-Busch distributors now using his foam to ship beer. A few years later he settled down in Colorado, where he met Ann. They were married in 1989, when John was 32, and had two sons, Alex and Jake. John mostly tended to his investments, participating in a series of mergers and acquisitions and embarking on real estate developments at home and abroad. In the early 2000s, one particularly complex project brought him to D.C. and put him in contact with, as he puts it, “the fringes of one government agency or another.” By the time the deal was closed, John had mostly stopped working for himself and began freelancing for the government, “promoting American values around the world” in places like Prague, Sarajevo, Moldova, Ukraine, Montenegro, and Hong Kong.

Work trips brought him to Myanmar in 2014 and 2015, and he fell in love with the country. He had always believed in the transformational power of agriculture—his mother grew up on a vegetable farm in Greeley, Colorado—and he began thinking about starting an agribusiness in poor, opportunity-starved Myanmar. The country had ideal agricultural conditions—a year-round growing season, soil and water that were free of the metals and contaminants common in most industrialized countries, and cheap labor—but it lacked the refrigeration and transportation needed to export many crops. “You grow what you can eat and what your grandfather grew,” John says, of the region’s subsistence economy. And it would stay that way, unless the people were trained to farm something other than chickpeas and rice.

“People, planet, profit,” John liked to say. “I know, it’s a cheap phrase that people throw around loosely, but that was the idea.”

So what could they grow that had a robust market and could be extracted into a portable, consumable extract? Vanilla? Ginger? How about high-quality, all-natural CBD? Alex had told his father about CBD and prescribed it for a toothache. “I took a few drops and it worked great,” John says. “Plus it helped me sleep.” They started researching.

For three weeks in 2017, Alex and John apprenticed at a hemp operation in Rifle, Colorado. John would stash the Lexus and they’d blend in with the day laborers. “These pot guys were high all the time,” John says, “and they’d just talk. Extracting data from them was very easy.” From these conversations and others, John calculated that the Colorado growers were spending $1.32 per plant. He estimated that his cost in Southeast Asia—which many CBD analysts believe to be the industry’s next frontier—would be six cents.

Thomas Bentley was one of those pot guys. And if John saw Thomas as just a loose-lipped stoner, Thomas saw John as a weed business arriviste—too blinded by CBD’s bright future to respect cannabis’ illicit past. Now that hemp was legal, Bentley had gotten used to seeing guys like John in the fields. “It was a whole new class of investor,” Bentley says. “Older, well-to-do, Republican.” But Thomas set aside his gripes when that affluent interloper offered something no other growers were: a Burmese adventure.

AA little more than a year after John and Alex’s apprenticeship, III M was up and running in Myanmar, with a team of growers, soil scientists, aquaponics experts, and biochemists. They spent months trying out different strains, soil combinations, irrigation methods, and fertilizers— “bat shit, cow shit, goat shit, we tried them all.” John credits the shit, or his willingness to handle it, anyway, with winning over the 200 local Burmese they’d hired to work for them. “I got down in the shit with them,” he says. “That’s how I got their respect.

“People, planet, profit,” he likes to say. “I know, it’s a cheap phrase that people throw around loosely, but that was the idea: Put people first and make sure it’s good for the planet, then worry about the profit.”

III M offered what few other local employers did: vocational training, overtime, and pay equity between men and women. John had to meet with village elders three times to convince them to accept that last stipulation. John and his partners brought in a doctor from Yangon (formerly Rangoon) to provide checkups, a first for nearly all of III M’s employees, including grandmothers in their fifties. They found cases of hepatitis A, B, and C, bandaged flesh wounds, and treated one case of flesh-eating virus.

By April 2019, the farm was close to self-sufficient. John, Alex, Thomas Bentley, and another grower John had imported from Colorado were now laying the groundwork for a second farm, 500 miles east in Chiang Mai, Thailand. They started growing kenaf, a tester crop for hemp, at the Chiang Mai farm while they waited for a license to grow the real thing. If that went well, John dreamed of global expansion: “This doesn’t just work in Myanmar. It will work in India, South America, parts of Africa. Any equatorial region where there’s a poverty issue.”

For a brief, hopeful moment a few years ago, it looked like more than five decades of oppressive military rule was finally releasing its grip on Myanmar.

The third week of April was a big one for III M. They were hosting their first investors meeting, with backers from Portugal, Venezuela, and Panama all convening in Southeast Asia to tour the operation. The plan was to visit the Chiang Mai site first, then make the short flight to Myanmar and the 90-minute drive to “the RIC”—as John called the farm, for Research Innovation Center—where they would see row after row of five-foot-tall hemp plants ripening in the blazing sun.

John had two principal partners: Douglas Soe Lin, a Burmese American architect from Bethesda, Maryland, who’d had already arrived in Bangkok, and Martin Pun, III M’s Burmese-Chinese CEO, who was coming in from Honolulu to meet them in Thailand the next day. Each partner had his own role. Soe Lin knew lots of investors. Pun spoke Burmese and had the government contacts necessary to secure the permit to grow the country’s first legal hemp. And John was the guy who got things done on the ground.

On the morning of Tuesday, April 23, John was up early as usual, checking messages and getting ready for a day at the Thailand farm. One message stood out from the rest: a message from Martin Pun. There was no text, just an attachment to a Facebook video showing soldiers, with rifles slung across their chests, ransacking the greenhouse in Mandalay, trashing the fields in their military trucks, and hacking down crops with machetes.

FFor a brief, hopeful moment a few years ago, it looked like more than five decades of oppressive military rule was finally releasing its grip on Myanmar.

In 2015, the military junta, or Tatmadaw, effectively ceded power to a democratically elected civilian government led by opposition leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the daughter of Aung San, a revolutionary who had led Burma’s drive for independence from the British in the late 1940s. Aung San Suu Kyi, now 74 and known as The Lady, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991 and spent 15 years under house arrest during the 1990s and 2000s before finally breaking through with a landslide victory. The rise of her National League for Democracy (NLD) was exalted as an end to the Tatmadaw, but these hopes quickly faded.

Today, most of the citizens in this majority-Buddhist country of about 56 million see the NLD and its civilian government as aligned with the same military power structure it was supposed to replace. Meanwhile, the world has come to see The Lady as something more sinister: Last year, Myanmar, represented by Aung San Suu Kyi, was summoned to the Hague to address charges of persecution and mass displacement of millions of Muslim-minority Rohingya. From Nobel laureate and Democratic reformer to allegations of genocide and mass deportation in just a few years.

These shifts at the highest levels of government had little effect on the lives of ordinary Burmese like the ones who worked for John Todoroki. To them, whether the country was called Burma or Myanmar, whether it was ruled by the Tatmadaw or a freely elected government, the British or the narcos or some combination of them all, the problem was the same: Connections and corruption determined who made money and who got jobs, who had clean water and indoor plumbing and electricity, and who didn’t.

Doing business here involved plenty of petty hassles, especially for a foreigner, and that’s what John assumed was happening that night at the farm: a misunderstanding that needed clearing up. He was more annoyed than alarmed. Fucking Burma, he thought.

As soon as they saw the video of the raid, John and Alex caught the next flight back to Mandalay, eager to straighten out the mess. When John got to the RIC, he’d show them paperwork detailing the various permissions III M had been granted to grow hemp provided it contained minuscule levels of THC—less than 0.3%. Attempting to produce legal cannabis in a Golden Triangle country, which continues to supply a sizable chunk of the region’s heroin, opium, and methamphetamine, and where the sale of narcotics (marijuana included) often carries a life sentence, requires considerable nerve. It’s something only someone confident in their ability to navigate the laws and customs of Southeast Asia would attempt. The stakeholders of III M thought they had both.

John and Alex landed in Mandalay in the early afternoon and decided they would stay at their hotel in the city that night and assess the situation before driving to the RIC in the morning. By now they were used to the commute. Alex would usually catch an extra hour of sleep in the back of the Ford pickup while his father blared Creedence and the Stones, smoking American Spirits and barreling down the jungle roads.

John spent the afternoon making phone calls—to his lawyers, his partners, his family, to the RIC itself, where the situation was getting worse by the hour. The police had taken two employees into custody: Ko Shein Latt, or “Shein,” was a contractor in his mid-thirties who had built most of the irrigation system; Ma Shun Lae Myat Noe, or “Myat,” was a chatty, sociable 22-year-old intern who’d only started working for III M three weeks earlier. She’d learned English at a college in Mandalay and had been working as the farm’s translator.

The “raid” hadn’t been menacing at first. It started more like an exploration than a seizure. Myat showed the police around, explaining the generator system, pointing out the tidy stone path John had designed. But a few hours later, she was under arrest.

As John learned all this over the phone, his confidence dissolved. This can’t be good, he thought. He wanted Alex and the other Americans out of Myanmar as soon as possible. “Get the next flight to Thailand,” he told Alex. “Just get out of here.”

As Alex climbed into a cab bound for the airport, John had a moment of doubt: “Hey Alex, do you think maybe I should go with you?”

Alex calmed his father down: “Even the lawyer said that they won’t arrest an American.”

Later that night, John was getting ready for bed when there was a knock at the door. Six or seven police and military officers barged into the hotel room and started barking at John in broken English. They ordered him to stand in a corner while they searched the room.

I have to speak to someone in authority, John thought. He had the confidence of the innocent—and the entitlement of an American. I have to just power through this. I have the paperwork, I’m in the right, and these guys are fuckin’ wrong.

While the officers conducted their search, John emailed his partner Doug for help: “Getting a visit by the police. You may have to make a call to the ambassador.”

The police marched John out of the hotel, put him in the back of an old Toyota sedan, and they drove into the night, destination unknown. It dawned on John that he might not make it through the night alive.

What are they going to do, he thought, take me to a field and shoot me?

They made a few stops at police outposts along the way. At one, he snapped a photo of the Burmese sign at the gate and sent it to Doug in case he disappeared.

Doug later emailed back: “Don’t talk. Just tell them about meeting with chief minister [who had granted their hemp permit]… Call U.S. Embassy for help too. You are an American. They won’t torture you.”

It was a long, disorienting night. In the morning, they finally arrived at the RIC, and John saw scores of agents swarming the farm, pulling up plants, dismantling everything, documenting it all for evidence. He realized this wasn’t a misunderstanding he could “clear up” with a lawyer and some official-looking paperwork. For the first time, he knew he was screwed.

“I was the only Asian kid in my school,” John says. “I got in more fights than anyone you know.”

Every branch of the Myanmar police was there—the neighborhood, the township, the district, the region of Mandalay, the drug enforcement division, and the Special Branch, one element of Myanmar’s vast intelligence apparatus—and not one of them was interested in seeing permits or hearing John explain the distinctions between CBD and THC, hemp from cannabis.

He still had his phone, which he used to warn his partners. Again, he emailed Doug in Bangkok: “Promise me you won’t come back to Myanmar.”

If the sight of his crops being yanked from the ground was dispiriting to John, the sight of Myat and Shein was devastating. They were being held in the greenhouse office. Myat was sobbing, slumped against the wall. Shein sat, weary and confused, with his head in his hands. Dozens of workers had come from their nearby villages and gathered at the RIC to watch as the authorities destroyed their year’s worth of work.

The police then loaded Myat, Shein, and John into a truck that was guarded by half a dozen police with rifles. The truck drove away, followed by three other police vehicles. They had no idea where they were going, or why.

WWhen John was five, he began studying judo at a Buddhist center in Denver, realizing early on that he had a focus and discipline the other students lacked. “I got in more fights than anyone you know,” John says. “I was the only Asian kid in my school.”

It was Denver in the early ’60s, a decade after the Korean War, two since Pearl Harbor, and John was an all-purpose Asian villain for backyard war games and schoolyard taunts. (His father, a second-generation American born in Oakland, spent the first years of World War II in a Wyoming internment camp.) John kept practicing, studying, focusing… and the fights he got into outside judo got shorter and shorter. He says that when he was 11 or 12, he was a national junior champion, landing on the cover of Judo magazine.

Now, at 62, his focus and discipline would be put to the test like never before.

Eventually, the truck carrying John, Myat, and Shein reached a squat, cinder block building in the township of Ngazun, where they were turned over to a greasy-palmed police captain they came to call “the Snake.”

The Snake took a special interest in his prosperous-looking Japanese American guest. He confiscated John’s phone and demanded that he tell him the code.

John refused. “Go fuck yourself,” he told him. The Snake said if he didn’t give him the code, he’d be in prison for a long time.

“I don’t care,” John said. “I’m not giving you the code.” The stalemate continued. “Go fuck yourself,” John said again.

At this, the Snake welcomed John and Shein into their new home, a 23-by-25-foot cell packed with nearly two dozen inmates and a shared hole in the muddy floor for a toilet. Myat was transferred to the women’s area of the prison.

Days later, John asked for a phone so he could call the U.S. Embassy. The Snake refused. John kept pressing, until eventually the Snake said he could borrow his phone, but only to call his wife, not the embassy.

John called Ann in Colorado. “If I have to stay here,” he told her, “I’m not gonna make it.”

The jail didn’t provide inmates with food or water, and if you were lucky enough, as John, Shein, and Myat were, to have a friend or a family member show up with a loaf of bread, some peanut butter, or a couple of oranges, the guards had to be bribed into actually giving it to you. In fact, every point of contact with the outside world was an opportunity for graft.

The guards never let the inmates outside, even for a moment. John and Shein remained in their cell 24 hours a day, sitting on the floor in the unbearable heat, trying to ignore the moans of their cellmates and the rank stench coming from the hole in the floor. Every morning John would claim his meager share of the wall, a patch of concrete to lean against, and defend it all day long if he had to.

The prisoners slept inches apart on blankets laid over the floor. At night, the cell’s population would swell, with scorpions and other nocturnal creatures crawling in to join them. Not that anyone could sleep. The guards woke them every hour on the hour, slamming a bell 11 times for 11 p.m., 12 times for midnight, etc. They pounded whatever cheap liquor their petty bribes could buy them, and fucked with whomever they liked. John knew it could have been worse. Like most prisoners, he was sometimes beaten on the backs of his legs with bamboo sticks, but they never used their batons on him.

But the isolation was punishing enough. They were completely cut off from the outside world, and John had no one to speak to and no information on the RIC or his family.

The next test came in the form of a psychopathic inmate who set his sights on the five-foot-six American.

After 30 days in Ngazun, John, Myat, and Shein were transferred 50 miles southwest to Myingyan Prison. Here, John and Shein shared a tiny cell. The beds were wooden pallets. The toilet was, again, a hole in the floor. They were permitted to wash twice a week, from a communal trough that ensured bacteria and disease flowed freely from one inmate to another.

Built in the late 19th century, Myingyan is one of Myanmar’s oldest, most notorious prisons, having held untold numbers of murderers, addicts, and thieves, but also political prisoners, journalists, dissidents—in some cases, the very people for whom John had worked behind the scenes to keep out of places like this. In January 2015, he helped orchestrate the release of a Muslim physician, Dr. Tun Aung, who’d been unjustly jailed for his involvement in a violent protest in western Myanmar a few years years earlier. Now, John would get a taste of the conditions he’d fought against.

The next test came in the form of a psychopathic inmate who set his sights on the five-foot-six American. The guy was street-hardened and sinewy, the undisputed alpha of the high-security area. He often dropped blackbirds with a slingshot in the prison yard and spit-roasted them over a fire he’d build in an old paint can for dinner. But when he stepped to John, inching his face closer and closer, John locked in on his eyes and prayed for a draw. They stood there for what seemed like hours, until the younger man gave in, bumping John with a shoulder as he turned. When John shoved him back, some mutual respect was achieved.

John didn’t have to hunt blackbirds to eat at Myingyan. Three or four times a week, his assistant made the trip to the prison and bribed a full cast of guards and administrators (six or seven of them at $7 each) to give John, Shein, and Myat the food she brought them—bread, peanut butter, occasionally a styrofoam container of local takeout: rice and a greasy piece of meat. John’s favorite meal was his assistant’s homemade chicken soup.

As Myingyan’s sole English speaker—on the men’s side anyway, since Myat was again being held on the women’s side—John had few companions among his fellow inmates. He befriended one of the weakest, a Thai addict in his sixties, frail and covered in gang tattoos, with whom he often shared the food he smuggled in from the outside. He also became close with another inmate who had been a captain in the military until he was imprisoned for marrying two women at once. The man had a contraband cellphone he let John use for a price and only once in a while. One day, John used it to call his youngest son, Jake, who was a senior at Montana State. “The tone of his voice,” Jake recalls. “He sounded broken. He was saying, ‘I don’t know how long… this could be forever.’ There was no optimism in his voice, no power to fight back. That made me feel really bad… scared. Like, what if he never came back?”

Jake sent his father anything he could find that might boost his spirits or strengthen his resolve—a Bob Dylan lyric or a quote from the Khalil Gibran book he was reading. He’d write it down, take a photo, and send it via WhatsApp to his father’s assistant. She’d then transcribe the message on paper, roll it into a tube, and slip it into the casing of a ballpoint pen she’d smuggle in to John.

“Those messages,” he would later say, “probably saved my life.”

TTwice a month, John made two court appearances—one in Ngazun, where he faced drug and seed cultivation charges, and another in Myingyan, where he faced more serious narcotics and death penalty charges. (Shein and Myat were also brought to court on the same schedule.) The hearings were usually short and inconclusive, and in a language John didn’t understand. The courts never provided a translator, and John’s lawyer spoke limited English. The whole process was conducted under a cloud of uncertainty. This is not unusual in Myanmar, where a defendant might attend a year or more of bimonthly hearings and never hear a verdict. There’s too much money to be made in drawing out the process. Every hearing is an opportunity to extract another bribe—especially from foreigners.

During at least two hearings, John says, the prosecution heard witness testimony before John and his lawyers had even arrived. It didn’t matter, really, since none of the judges were interested in the crucial evidence—the permission the chief minister of Mandalay had granted III M Global Nutraceuticals to grow industrial hemp. Instead,  de rechtbank haalde herhaaldelijk een wet uit 1993 aan waarin stond dat er geen juridisch onderscheid was tussen hennep en marihuana: alle cannabis, ongeacht het THC-gehalte, werd als marihuana beschouwd.

“John is als het gras onder de voeten van twee vechtende buffels ”, legt Min Htin uit, een Birmese bedrijfsprofessor die wat advieswerk deed bij het RIC. “Hij zit gevangen in een machtsstrijd tussen de lokale regering van Mandalay, die is gekozen, en het ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken, dat is benoemd.” Binnenlandse Zaken houdt toezicht op de politie, die het recht behoudt om elke boerderij waarvan ze vermoedt dat ze drugs gebruiken te overvallen zonder toestemming van de provinciale overheid.

De hoorzittingen van de rechtbank trokken routinematig vrachtwagenladingen van arbeiders en dorpelingen van III M aan. die Myat en Shein kenden, en wat de boerderij voor de gemeenschap betekende. Ze zouden de krappe rechtszalen vullen, schreeuwend en huilend uit protest.

Na elke hoorzitting was het weer terug naar de Myingyan-gevangenis, naar de verdieping die John deelde met Shein en wat voor David Baldacci-thriller hij ook was ‘ het lukte hem binnen te smokkelen. Twee keer per week kregen de gevangenen grijze, vette pap die John nooit at, en een dagelijkse emmer met rijst bedekte rijst. Ze mochten rondjes lopen op het erf van de gevangenis, maar de hitte was benauwend, mogelijk dodelijk.

Op mijn leeftijd dacht John , mijn lichaam kan dit niet aan. Hij werd zwakker en zwakker, en zijn mentale toestand verdorde samen met zijn hoop. Na meer dan een maand voelde hij zichzelf opgeven, toegeven, ervan overtuigd dat hij er nooit levend uit zou komen. Als mijn leven nu voorbij is, dacht hij na, ben ik trots op wat ik heb gedaan, wat ik heb achtergelaten? En zijn antwoord was: Ja. Ik ben.

J J ohn was niet helemaal alleen. Hij had een fixeermiddel aan de buitenkant – we noemen hem Joe – die alle verbindingen deed en alle handpalmen smeerde die hij kon. Joe was een grenskind, opgegroeid tussen Thailand en Birma. Hij is terughoudend over zijn professionele geschiedenis. Het volstaat te zeggen dat hij over een zeldzame reeks vaardigheden beschikt die John Todoroki op dit moment hard nodig had. Joe legde een paar goede steekpenningen neer, en dat geld – samen met een doktersbriefje dat getuigde van het gevaar van Johns door hitte veroorzaakte bloeddruk, nu 160/140 – hielp hem naar het gevangenisziekenhuis te sturen. John verheugde zich op een korte onderbreking van de verrotte cel.

Toch was het ziekenhuis op de een of andere manier slechter: minder hygiënisch, dreigender dan de gevangenis zelf. Er lag bloed op de vloer en het spatte op de muren. John heeft de MRSA-bacterie opgelopen, een bijzonder zware infectie die resistent is tegen de meest voorkomende antibiotica en vleesetend kan worden. De MRSA greep in Johns longen en veroorzaakte een aanhoudende, slijmerige hoest en verlammende lethargie. Hij ontwikkelde zweren in zijn nek en armen.

Redding kwam in de vorm van tweemaal daags gentamicine-injecties, een antibioticum dat zo hard is dat de meeste artsen het helemaal niet meer voorschrijven of het beperken tot ongeveer een week. John was er 15 dagen mee bezig. Het antibioticum raakte de infectie kwijt, maar beschadigde daarbij wel zijn nieren.

Maar elke nieuwe aandoening, elke aanval op Johns lichaam was weer een stap op weg naar vrijheid. Elke kwaal die John nog niet had, was bereid te faken of op zijn minst te verfraaien. Dus op 25 juli, de dag van zijn hoorzitting voor medische borgtocht, huurde zijn assistent een ambulance om hem naar de rechtbank te brengen.

De ambulance reed naar het laaghangende gerechtsgebouw in Myingyan en John kwamen tevoorschijn met een infuus en een zak met zoutoplossing. Een assistent hield hem vast toen hij het gebouw binnenstormde, een zwakke oude man die om genade was komen smeken.

Meer dan honderd dorpsbewoners hadden de lange reis gemaakt, met drie of meer mensen op een motorfiets en stapels pickups, om hun baas door de aanklagers te horen omschrijven als een drugsbaron en een agent van Amerikaanse hebzucht. Toen hoorden ze de advocaten van John over zijn medische toestand. Toen de rechter begon te spreken, hield John zijn ogen gericht op een oudere boer aan wie hij ooit een irrigatiepomp had gegeven. De boer miste nooit een rechtszitting en John was op zijn reactie gaan vertrouwen om de toespraak van de rechter te interpreteren. De boer schoot plotseling twee duimen omhoog en glimlachte en de kamer barstte los.

“We huilden allemaal en omhelsden elkaar”, herinnert John’s assistent zich. “Het voelde alsof we iets hadden bereikt.” John betaalde 300 miljoen kyat (ongeveer $ 200.000) en werd op borgtocht vrijgelaten.

Na de hoorzitting drongen de dorpelingen zich een weg naar de rechterbank. Een voor een kwamen ze, tien of vijftien tegelijk, op hun knieën om te buigen en hun steun te betuigen. Het duurde 20 minuten om ze allemaal te doorstaan. Toen de laatste groep de rechtszaal verliet, staarde de rechter naar zijn bureau en toen begon hij ook te huilen.

T T het ritueel na de gevangenisstraf, zelfs als je maar lang genoeg bent opgesprongen om je bloeddruk te verlagen en wat te krijgen CT-scans betreffen steevast voedsel, en het eerste wat John deed toen hij Myingyan verliet, was op een bord met eend en cashewnoten en groenten in een plaatselijk restaurant gezet. Terwijl hij zijn maaltijd afwaste met een zeldzaam glas wijn, dacht hij: Er is geen gelukkiger dag in het leven van een man dan de dag dat hij een Birmese gevangenis verlaat .

En toch was zijn vrijlating verre van werkelijke vrijheid. Hij keerde terug naar de gemakken van zijn hotel, het Mercure Mandalay Hill Resort, maar hij kon niet ontsnappen aan het feit dat Myat en Shein nog steeds in de gevangenis zaten voor de misdaad om voor hem te komen werken, of dat, met uitzondering van een dramatische omkering van het fortuin , zou hij zich op elk moment weer bij hen voegen, of zijn gezondheid nu wel of niet hersteld was.

Medische borgtocht was zijn eigen verdraaide limbo: hij kon het hotel niet verlaten of ergens binnen reizen Provincie Mandalay zonder te worden gevolgd door twee of drie politieagenten. Familiebezoeken waren in wezen verboden, maar hij kon tenminste praten en sms’en. Nu hij weg was, betaalde hij meer dan 200 III M-werknemers een deel van het loon dat ze zouden hebben betaald als ze zouden kunnen werken. En hij kreeg eindelijk de steun van de Amerikaanse ambassade. (Er werd hem verteld dat de Amerikanen officiële assistentie hadden onthouden totdat DEA-agenten de RIC konden inspecteren en de planten in het veld konden testen om te bevestigen dat ze een Amerikaanse drugsdealer niet hielpen.) John’s contact bij de ambassade zorgde ervoor dat hij kon reizen naar Yangon om nier- en longscans te krijgen bij een van de enige MRI-faciliteiten in het land.

“Ik heb dat blikje wormen geopend”, dacht hij, “en nu weet iedereen dat ik bereid ben te betalen – de politie, de aanklagers, iedereen. ”

Maar mentaal was het in sommige opzichten moeilijker dan de gevangenis. Binnenin maakte de voortdurende strijd om te overleven hem gefocust en koppig opgewekt. Nu voelde hij zich hopeloos, gestrand in zijn hotelkamer. Hij zat niet achter de tralies, maar werd geketend door de schuld en wanhoop van de overlevende. Hij sleepte een stoel de kamer uit en liet hem achter op het balkon op de achtste verdieping, zodat hij in een oogwenk op en neer kon stappen: hij zou springen voordat hij weer naar de gevangenis zou gaan.

Zijn gedachten dwaalden ook af naar geweld tegen anderen. Bijna elke nacht dezelfde droom: hij heeft een samoeraizwaard en hij zwaait en slaat de hoofden van Birmese soldaten een voor een af ​​en doodt ze allemaal.

Het enige tegengif voor zijn hopeloosheid was actie. Een Birmese journalist organiseerde een ontmoeting met de premier van Mandalay, U Zaw Myint Maung, de man die de vergunningen had afgegeven die III M het recht zouden hebben verleend om cannabis voor CBD te kweken. U Zaw Myint Maung zat zelf al een aantal jaren in de gevangenis, als politiek gevangene, en John hoopte dat hij zijn zaak binnen de regering zou oppakken. John en zijn assistent gingen ontbijten bij de dominee. Hij woonde in een ruim huis met drie verdiepingen in Brits-koloniale stijl, met politieagenten bij de poort en een grote foyer. Aan weerszijden van de foyer zag John kamers vol met AC-units, kisten met drank, elektronica en ongeopende cadeaus.

Over kommen van mohinga , een pittige rijstnoedelsoep, het populairste ontbijtgerecht van Birma, beoordeelde de minister-president de hachelijke situatie van John en wuifde de vergunningen die hij zelf had afgegeven vrolijk weg. De verdovingswet uit 1993 die John naar verluidt had geschonden, maakte geen onderscheid tussen marihuana en hennep, THC en CBD, en dus vertelde de minister hem dat hij terug zou gaan naar Myingyan. “Het komt goed met je in de gevangenis”, vertelde de minister hem. (John’s assistent wist beter dan dat ter plekke te vertalen.) Minister-president U Zaw Myint Maung beantwoordde geen berichten met de vraag om commentaar.

John had toen kunnen beginnen met het uitzetten van een ontsnapping de poreuze Laotiaanse grens of glipte Thailand binnen, maar Shein en Myat bleven in de gevangenis en John was hun enige hoop. Hij bezocht de ouders van Myat en de vrouw en de peuterzoon van Shein, bracht hen op de hoogte van zijn juridische inspanningen en probeerde hem zo weinig mogelijk troost te bieden. Ze gaven hem nooit de schuld, maar Johns relatieve vrijheid, het feit dat hij in een hotel met airconditioning woonde en niet in de Myingyan-gevangenis met de anderen, vergrootte zijn schuldgevoel.

Er was tenminste goed nieuws over zijn gezondheid: het ging nog steeds achteruit.

De zomer werd herfst en hij zette door. Hij pleitte voor het Amerikaanse ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken, contacten met de Amerikaanse media, de Japanse ambassadeur in Myanmar, iedereen die kon helpen. Hij maakte onrust en pleitte namens Shein en Myat en ook voor hemzelf, en omdat dit Myanmar was, betekende dat geld. Via Joe, de fixer, probeerde John zich een weg naar de rechter te betalen door deze lokale sterke man of die regeringsfunctionaris, een advocaat hier, een militaire generaal daar, af te betalen. In oktober had hij zijn opties en zijn geld uitgeput. Hij schat dat hij meer dan $ 500.000 heeft uitgegeven en dat hij niets anders heeft gedaan dan het geld te gebruiken dat hij gebruikte om zijn voormalige werknemers te blijven betalen.

Er was tegen hem gespeeld. Ik heb dat blik met wormen geopend, dacht hij , en nu weet iedereen dat ik bereid ben te betalen – de politie, de aanklagers, iedereen. Nu heb ik geen andere keuze dan te betalen en te betalen en het wordt een bedrijf voor hen.

Er was tenminste goed nieuws over zijn gezondheid: het ging nog steeds achteruit. Een van de dokters van John stelde vast dat hij waarschijnlijk een beroerte in de gevangenis en een grand mal-aanval had gehad. Dit zou hem wat meer tijd opleveren, maar wat nog belangrijker is, hem een ​​geldig excuus geven om terug te gaan naar Yangon voor meer scans. Daar kon hij zich zonder toezicht verplaatsen.

J J oe was al eind april op bezoek bij vrienden in Virginia, toen hij er voor het eerst van hoorde John Todoroki. Hij kreeg een telefoontje van een vriend die een vriend had die John op de een of andere manier kende, en de vriend informeerde Joe over de arrestatie van John. Joe had nagedacht over hoe hij John uit Myanmar kon halen sinds dat eerste telefoontje afgelopen voorjaar, en nu, zes maanden later, stond hij op het punt zijn kans te grijpen.

Hij had een plan, een assistent en een pick-up met een koningscabine die een dode letter was voor de officiële voertuigen die door het leger werden gebruikt. Het bed was omwikkeld met groen canvas en er zat een overheidssticker op de voorruit. De achterbank van de cabine was vervangen door dezelfde grote zwarte doos die de soldaten van Myanmar in de cabine van hun vrachtwagens hebben.

Op een vochtige, regenachtige oktobermiddag kleedde John zich in het zwart en klom in de doos. In Joe’s zak zaten 30 scherpe biljetten van $ 100, een laatste prikkel voor een soldaat om het voortvluchtige gehurkt in de kist te zien. Er waren vijf politiecontroleposten tussen Yangon en de grensovergang, en John was bang voor iedereen. Johns foto stond in de krant en op het equivalent van het avondnieuws. Zelfs door de kleinste soldaat in de meest vergeten jungle-buitenpost te ontdekken, zou hij vrijwel zeker rechtstreeks naar Myingyan worden teruggestuurd. Een vermeende narco die betrapt werd toen hij probeerde te vluchten voor gerechtigheid, hij zou geen kaarten meer hebben om te spelen.

Ze reden om 16.00 uur Yangon uit, dus de meeste interacties tussen hun controlepunten zouden samenvallen met de de beste drinkuren van de soldaten die hen bemannen. Joe rekende ook op andere afleidingen. ‘Ze werken’ s nachts niet veel ‘, zegt Joe. “Het kan ze niet schelen. Ze hebben vriendinnen uit de nabijgelegen dorpen die overdag niet kunnen bezoeken. “

Elke controlepost was pure angst voor John , gepropt in de zwarte doos, maar ze waren gezegend anticlimax: drie van de vijf waren onbemand en ze gingen zonder incidenten door de anderen.

Na 13 uur kwamen ze aan bij de Thaise grens . Het was 05.00 uur en de kruising was gesloten. Ze doodden de tijd in een theewinkel, waar Joe John een zonnebril en een baseballpet liet dragen en zijn rug tegen de deur hield. De Amerikaanse potboer. Zelfs hier, honderden kilometers van de RIC, wordt hij misschien herkend.

De Amerikaanse ambassade had John een nieuw paspoort (op eigen naam) afgegeven en Joe had een immigratie uit Myanmar betaald officier $ 300 voor een postzegel. Een lange rij begon zich te vormen van voornamelijk arme, meestal wanhopige Birmezen, die hun fortuin in Thailand of daarbuiten wilden verbeteren. Eindelijk was John klaar om zijn zet te doen. Joe zei tegen John dat hij over de betonnen brug moest lopen en verzekerde hem dat hij en zijn collega vlak achter hem zouden staan. “Als je erdoor komt,” vertelde Joe hem, “halen we het over 10 of 15 minuten in.”

“En als ik dat niet doe?” Vroeg John.

“Je zult ons helemaal niet zien”, zei Joe.

Vervolgens slenterde John nonchalant over de kwart mijl brug naar Thailand. Bij de controlepost, toen hij zijn nieuwe paspoort aan de Thaise grensagent overhandigde, had hij moeite om zijn kalmte te bewaren. Maar nogmaals, het geluk stond aan zijn kant. De agent had het te druk met ruzie met iemand op zijn telefoon om de postzegel nauwkeurig te onderzoeken of zelfs veel aandacht aan het paspoort te besteden voordat hij hem doorzwaaide.

Hij liep door de controlepost en verder naar vrijheid. Hij wachtte tot hij om de hoek was gelopen, achter een gebouw en uit het zicht. Toen begon hij op en neer te springen en dacht: ik ben een vrije klootzak! ik ben vrij!

Joe en zijn assistent haalde in en wachtte zoals beloofd aan de andere kant in een andere vrachtwagen, die ze vervolgens wegjoeg. Een uur later stopten ze voor kip, maar John was te veel op adrenaline en slaapgebrek om veel te eten. Pas toen ze in Bangkok aankwamen, na een snelle vlucht vanuit Mae Sot, Thailand, keerde de eetlust van John terug. Aan de overkant van zijn hotel in Bangkok zag John zijn geliefde gouden bogen. ‘Ik ben er naar toe gelopen’, zegt hij nu glimlachend naar de herinnering. ‘Big Mac, grote friet en een Coca-Cola. Het was de beste McDonald’s die ik ooit heb gehad. “

W W dat John in Myanmar kon bouwen was in veel opzichten uitzonderlijk. Een win-win-win, zoals John het zag. Mensen. Planeet. Winst. En dat was het een tijdje. Maar Birma is Birma, een land waar Nobelprijswinnaars een land leiden waarvan wordt beweerd dat het de genocide de ogen heeft gesloten, en waar de gevangenissen vol zitten met onschuldige mensen die wedden op het verkeerde paard. Proberen om uit te voeren wat John en zijn partners bijna haalden, was misschien te optimistisch, een stap te ver in de richting van vooruitgang. Want toen mensen, planeet en winst wapens, drugswetten en geld ontmoetten, stopte het winnen en begon het verliezen. De dorpelingen verloren. Ze hadden gehoopt dat de Amerikaanse CBD-boerderij hun gemeenschap zou opheffen en hun kinderen zou trainen voor iets meer dan het verbouwen van kikkererwten en rijst. John verloor ook – geld, arbeid, zes maanden van zijn leven. (En eind februari gaf de rechtbank in Myingyan een bevel voor zijn arrestatie .) Maar niemand verloor meer dan Shein en Myat.

” Ik ‘ Ik eet $ 25 hamburgers op 10.000 voet en ze zitten in de gevangenis. Ik weet wat ze doormaken. “

Wanneer John en ik elkaar in december in Colorado ontmoeten, is hij maanden verwijderd van een lichte beroerte, is zijn nierfunctie aangetast , en het kan zijn dat hij het beschadigde deel van zijn linkerlong moet verwijderen, maar je weet het niet aan de manier waarop hij ski’s. Hij maakt soepele, precieze bochten, met een economie en gratie gedragen door meer dan 50 jaar bergspiergeheugen. Hij is een agressieve skiër die je tot op de bodem ziet. Hem op de stoeltjeslift zien, diep ademhalend van zijn vrijheid, is een opwindend gezicht: een Amerikaan die genoeg van de despoten en corrupte regeringen van de wereld heeft meegemaakt om de Verenigde Staten te waarderen op een manier die maar weinig Amerikanen kunnen of doen.

“Ik voel me gewoon zo schuldig”, zegt hij als het onderwerp zich tot Myat en Shein wendt. Zijn stem kraakt. “Ik eet $ 25 hamburgers op 10.000 voet en ze zitten in de gevangenis. Ik weet wat ze doormaken. “

Sinds hij in november thuiskwam, voerde John zijn campagne op om Myat en Shein uit de gevangenis te helpen – hij schreef brieven aan congresleden hij heeft in het verleden geholpen en Myat en Sheins zaak aan vervolging van beschuldigingen tegen Myanmar gehecht, terwijl hij probeerde het Amerikaanse ministerie van Handel te beschamen de gevangengenomen werknemers van een Amerikaans bedrijf te steunen. Maar niets werkte. En er was weinig reden voor hoop.

Met de klok mee van linksboven: John Todoroki, Ma Shun Lae Myat Noe, Ko Shein Latt en Alex Todoroki. Foto’s met dank aan John Todoroki.

En toen, begin februari, was er een hoorzitting en een overhaaste aankondiging. Nadat Myat tien maanden gevangenisstraf had ondergaan, sloeg de rechtbank de aanklachten tegen haar af en concludeerde dat er ‘geen bewijs’ was dat ze ‘verantwoordelijk was voor de plantage’ waar ze in totaal 21 dagen had geïnterneerd. Toen ze uit de Myingyan-gevangenis werd geëscorteerd, viel ze meteen in de armen van haar moeder.

Shein had minder geluk. Hij zit nog steeds in de gevangenis en moet nog steeds tot vijftien jaar worden geconfronteerd omdat hij naar verluidt ‘het kweken van cannabis en het bezit van beperkte chemicaliën’ heeft.

John heeft de tijd gehad om na te denken over het werk dat hij deed in Birma, en hij heeft geen spijt. “Misschien werkten al deze dingen niet perfect, maar ze zouden wel hebben gewerkt. Ze waren aan het werk . En we werden geneukt. “

Zijn normaal vriendelijke, kalme gezicht vertoont een lichte wending. “Het was niet zozeer naïef, het werd wel geneukt. Er is een verschil. En daar ligt de woede. ‘

Elke dag in de gevangenis las John twee dingen voor: een brief van zijn zoon Jake waarin hij hem aanspoorde sterk te blijven en een gedicht dat met hem werd gedeeld hem door de enige gevangenisbewaarder die hem enige vriendelijkheid had betoond. John heeft een handgeschreven kopie van het gedicht gemaakt: “ Invictus ” door William Ernest Henley – op een stuk papier dat hij op de grond onder de deken waarop hij sliep bewaarde. Het gedicht is een Victoriaanse ode aan doorzettingsvermogen, en John zegt dat het stoïcisme en de koppige wil die het oproept hem elke dag doorstaan. Onder de vier korte coupletten voegde hij iets van een herinnering aan zichzelf toe. ‘Wat we hebben gemaakt’, schreef hij, ‘heeft een klein deel van de wereld beter gemaakt. Niet veel mensen kunnen deze bewering doen. Wees trots. ”

Update : In een eerdere versie van dit verhaal werd de locatie van de McDonald’s John die in Thailand bezocht, onjuist vermeld. Het was in Bangkok. Ook is een tweede verwijzing naar de MRSA-bacterie veranderd van “virus” in “infectie”.

De namen van Aung San Suu Kyi, de staat van Myanmar De adviseur en U Zaw Myint Maung, de eerste minister van Mandalay, zijn bijgewerkt met de Birmese naamgevingsconventies.

Lees Meer

Leave a Comment