This story is available exclusively on Business Insider Prime. Join BI Prime and start reading now.
- Meet cannabinol (CBN), the latest trendy wellness compound that comes from the cannabis plant.
- Some companies are now gearing up to launch products with CBN, claiming they help people sleep better.
- CBN is made from THC, the compound in cannabis that’s responsible for its signature high. CBN makes you want to fall asleep immediately, companies tell us.
- There’s been an explosion in marketing of cannabis compounds as wellness products recently, because the technology to extract them from the plant is getting better. You’ve probably already heard of ones like CBD, but lots more are on the way.
- Prices for CBN are expected to be around $20 per gram: 4 times more expensive than THC and 7 times more than CBD. But as more companies get involved in producing CBN, and the demand for this cannabinoid grows, costs are expected to come down.
- Click here for more BI Prime stories.
Get ready for the next trendy cannabis-linked wellness compound.
Cannabis companies are gearing up to launch products containing cannabinol, or CBN, claiming they can help people sleep better. They’re aiming to capitalize on the success of CBD, another cannabis component that’s widely touted as helping you relax, and that’s been added to everything from cupcakes to lattes.
The market for CBN could be significant. Millions of Americans have trouble sleeping, and some already turn to CBD or melatonin for help. Melatonin is a natural supplement that in 2016 had a market size of $851 million, according to a report from Statista. By 2021, this number is expected to skyrocket to $1.5 billion. Sales of CBD could reach $2.75 billion this year, according to Nielsen.
Kat Merryfield, the CEO of CBD company Kat’s Naturals, said the target demographic for CBN will be people who use melatonin or CBD to help them sleep. Using CBN is supposed to make you feel very relaxed and fall asleep quickly.
Companies are gearing up to market CBN to help you sleep
“I believe that CBN will be the new melatonin,” Merryfield told Business Insider. “It’s going to help with those sleep cycles, but without messing with the actual serotonin receptors that are creating that melatonin in your bodies.”
Her company plans to launch a product with CBN in the coming months, she said.
Papa & Barkley, a California cannabis brand known for its CBD products, has been researching CBN because they’ve found so many of their clients use their products to aid sleep.
But CBN is “notoriously tricky to process consistently,” Adam Grossman, Papa & Barkley’s CEO, told Business Insider. Currently, the company is focusing on how it can produce CBN effectively in order to blend it into their current formulations to help clients fall asleep faster and improve the quality of sleep once they are sleeping.
In most cannabis plants, CBN only exists in trace amounts. In order to produce the molecule on scale, producers need to first extract and process THC, which takes around 4 separate steps, before putting that compound through two more steps to create CBN. It takes about 5 milligrams of THC to produce 1 milligram of CBN, Grossman said.